Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Titanium Grey MY14 V40 T5 R design with the Ixion II 8x18" Diamond Cut/Matt Black wheels.

Not really a fan of the wheel and i'm looking at replacing it.

The V40 is a relatively new car and doesn't really attract the car mod community as much as your GTI's etc. This make it difficult to look for ideas on modifications.

Can anyone suggest what wheel sizes fit a V40?

I am thinking of getting the same wheel as this
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/images/mygolf/1564/20120506_GTI_112-L.jpg

These are 18x8.5, slightly wider than the stock wheels on my V40. Will this fit the V40? and what would be a recommended offset?

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The standard rims sit in the arches quite a bit so you could alter the offset to get the extra 1.2 in in there

Are you sure the 18's are only 8j though as the tires do not seem to stick out much beyond the rim, I have 8.5 J on my other 2 cars and the 225's seem to fit the same on all of them???

I suppose the design/thickness of the rim where the tire mounts may alter the look of the tire on the rim, if that makes sense.

I would warn you that fitting after market rims is not always the best idea as they tend not to be made for long before the design changes, I had this issue with a client who damaged one of his OZ rims and had to go and get a new set as they were no longer available in the old design he had only had them a couple of years so was not happy at having to fork out another £1300 on a set of rims.

If I were to go for a set of rims I would be loking at BBS, they are good quality and have been around for years and tend to keep to the same design.

I also am not a fan of the standard rims, they are too fiddly with all the groves and ridges, and I hate diamond cut wheels.

I will however stick with them as they are the standard wheel but I will be changing the colour and loosing the diamond cut finish, I will probably go for a satin grey.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd be wary of aftermarket wheels. I can't help but wonder whether all manufacturers of aftermarket wheels have adequate facilities for testing their designs for strength and durability.
Who do you think makes the factory rims????

It is the likes of team dynamics, OZ, BBS etc.

I would however be weary of some of the 'copy' alloys you see on ebay for the price of a bottle of coke and a packet of salt & vinegar

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be wary of aftermarket wheels. I can't help but wonder whether all manufacturers of aftermarket wheels have adequate facilities for testing their designs for strength and durability.
of course.. will only get wheels from reputable manufacturers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I like the stock R-Design wheels but hate the flushed-in look. So prolly gonna order Eibach spacers soon. Not sure to go (f&r respectivley): 15/20, 20/20, 20/25.

Opinions anyone? :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
It will put extra load onto the wheel bearings and result in extra dirt being thrown up onto the bodywork. :dodgy:
Would having proper wider rims (ie. wider than the stock 7x18") exert less stress on the bearings then, or the same?

You're right about the road grime splatter... haha.

·
Registered
945 Posts
People, including me, have been running spacers/wider wheels for years without any issues as long as you don't go mad you will be fine.

I am guessing the Volvo runs the same hubs as the mk3 focus, if you search under that you may get more results and even save a few £

·
Registered
389 Posts
The extra stress bit only come into play if you start running ridiculous spacers with extra camber extra, if your talking 15mm to 25mm you wont much if at all any difference. I ran various spacers on all my vw's for 8 years without any issues relating to them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.