Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I all of a sudden have this weird klinking noise when I park my car at home, at work (basement), or any other parking spot.

When the car has been standing for long, and is cold, there is no noise, but doing at least a 30 minute trip in traffic, car getting hot, then this noise sticks it's head out.

Normal driving, going over bumps, taking corners, no noise, sound rock solid.

It almost sounds to me like it is coming from the power steering, or something on the control arms turning the wheels.

And as I am typing this, my dealership phoned me, and my contact told me it is usually the bearings at the top of the shock, that is dry, or gets dry, and he will put new ones in for me and grease them. He had this issue on few other, and will submit a report, as Volvo will have to look at this

Reactions: TallioN

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had the car at the dealership, told me that the spring rubbers and springs move when turning the car, causing this noise. There is a TJ out on it, new springs have the rubbers molded onto them, they didn;t have any in stock, so on back order. ETA is 2 May.

Again my car to come up first with this issue, I just hope that is the cause of my weird suspension noise.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
##UPDATE##

Had my car at the dealership yesterday, after replacing the springs (tj out on my car) a few weeks ago, the klonk noise was still there.

I then managed to hear where the noise came from, and told the dealership they must look at the tie rods, arms, steering. Got a call late in the afternoon, another tj out on the steering rack, and there is play on mine, so my car is getting a whole new steering rack.

Back order placed from Sweden, no have to wait for it to arrive.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car was in on Tuesday, replaced the steering rack, drove around yesterday, and this morning to work, car feels solid, quieter, no clonking noises when I parked. Hope it stays like this

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem on my 1999 V 40 only in the last few months
3 non volvo garages have had it in up on a ramp and say nothing loose or dangerous.
It is worse when cold so maybe top joints, but again garages say no apparent wear, so what shall I do?

·
Registered
718 Posts
tj is a technical note regarding an issue that needs fixing. Usually the instructions to the dealer.

The one referred to here will not be relevant to your car, which is the earlier V40 Estate. This forum is for the V40 hatchback 2012 on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.