Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience on how much they would expect to pay a main dealer to change wheels (supplied) and fit the required Deflection limiters(supplied)?

My dealer seemed unable to confirm the parts needed or labour rate (I ended up using Google and PFS to source after 3 attempts at offering them my money).

I know the system will need plugging in to update the reflect the bigger wheels(16-17") and the labour to fit the limiters at the front and bolt on the new wheels.

I got the impression the software update was c.£30 from a post a saw previously.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
before you part away with £30, do you really need a limiter? does it rub?
Its not only the rim size that matters you need to take into account the diameter, width, sidewall, circumference.
try this check. example of my Volvo's 17" Ixion to 19" Artio.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=20

I after fitting I decided I didn't need a steering limiter or system update.
(i'm kinda hoping they'll calibrate it on the next service tho)

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/12-wheels-tires-suspension/31105-advice-ixion-r17-artio-r19.html

·
Registered
127 Posts
That’s brilliant thanks for the info on that been thinking of the same swap but was unsure about needing the limiters well done on trying and for the info.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
before you part away with £30, do you really need a limiter? does it rub?
Its not only the rim size that matters you need to take into account the diameter, width, sidewall, circumference.
try this check. example of my Volvo's 17" Ixion to 19" Artio.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=40&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=9-5&offset2=20

I after fitting I decided I didn't need a steering limiter or system update.
(i'm kinda hoping they'll calibrate it on the next service tho)

http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/12-wheels-tires-suspension/31105-advice-ixion-r17-artio-r19.html

You do realise the measurements you have used for the Artio wheels are completely wrong? They are 8J wide, not 9.5J, and have an offset of 40, not 20. The extra inch in width from 7J to 8J results in about 20mm extra width each side of the hub centre.

Do you have the dynamic chassis on your D2, or is it a later one where it didn't come as standard? With the 10mm lowered suspension you would almost certainly encounter rubbing at large steering angles when the suspension is under compression. That's why Volvo say you have to fit the deflection limiters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
To my knowledge the Ixion are 7x17" with ET50, the Artio are 8x19" with ET55 therefore, assuming the 17" is the existing wheel, the new one will have an inner rim which is 17.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 7.7mm more than before.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
To my knowledge the Ixion are 7x17" with ET50, the Artio are 8x19" with ET55 therefore, assuming the 17" is the existing wheel, the new one will have an inner rim which is 17.7mm closer to the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 7.7mm more than before.
Yes, sorry, I got the offset wrong in my previous post. As the inner clearance is that much less, it's probably even more likely they are going to rub on the inner arches without the deflection limiters being fitted. The 19" rims are also not supposed to be fitted to cars that were not ordered with them from the factory.(they were only offered as an option on the T5 from MY14.5, and the D4 from MY15, fitted with 235/35R19 tyres).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi getting confused now as there is a set on e bay for £1.450 that on the pictures has a et50 stamp on the back looks like one of them is wrong either Volvo or it’s a rouge set of Volvo wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You do realise the measurements you have used for the Artio wheels are completely wrong? They are 8J wide, not 9.5J, and have an offset of 40, not 20. The extra inch in width from 7J to 8J results in about 20mm extra width each side of the hub centre.

Do you have the dynamic chassis on your D2, or is it a later one where it didn't come as standard? With the 10mm lowered suspension you would almost certainly encounter rubbing at large steering angles when the suspension is under compression. That's why Volvo say you have to fit the deflection limiters.
My bad, on that site I didn't specifty the width.

Ref, to what the Legend Bubzy said,
That's exactly what Volvo told me.
But my thoughts are my daily driving doesn't involve
maneuvering around Elks at high speed so 'Touch Wood'.

I can tell you by experience on my current car the D2,
I've had the 17" Ixion from factory now have the 19" Artio.
(Does not have the lowered sports suspension)
I've had no issues with rubbing or problems such as park pilot.
can take a video on request to prove no rubbing.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts