Volvo V40 Forums banner

Which audio package?

35K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  worm59 
#1 ·
I'm ordering my new V40 R-Design D3 this week but am still deciding on which audio package to go for. As an ex-sound engineer I'm drawn towards the Premium but haven't been able to listen to it in the dealership.

Has anyone listened to both the HP Multimedia and the Premium, is there a huge noticeable difference? Not much information available from Volvo, couldn't say what the ten speakers comprised of; is there a small sub etc.

ANy help or links to decent information greatly appreciated ;)

#2 ·
What i understand both sound good..
The premium does sound a bit more "full".. This due to the additional speakers...
I personally have the premium in my V40 and like what I am hearing ;)

#3 ·
I am a fairly serious HiFi nut so i am pretty critical of car audio! I have not heard the 'basic' system. The Premium audio set up is not bad. Firstly I like the interface and usability. The radio is good, FM especially clean and rich. The iPod and CD sound is pretty decent. Some car systems rely and a dreadful sub-heavy 'boom and tizz' system to sound superficially impressive but ultimately tiring and horrible, this has a more balanced sound that if anything could just benefit from a tiny bit of sub-base at times. I tweaked the equalizer to improve the sound (and give the mid-highs a bit of a boost) and I'd give it a soild 7/10 compared to other similar car systems, but I have heard better. For the money i'd say decent value. if thumping bass is your thing then I'd buy aftermarket. If more balanced and natural sound then not too shabby.

As far as i can tell there is no sub-certainly nothing in the boot etc.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses, not after over the top bass but I do miss a small sub, or at least having speakers capable of delivering decent lower end, if it's not there.

Interested to know if anyone has listened to both. Also, are they still using Dynaudio for the speakers too?

#5 ·
Pegasus829 said:
Thanks for the responses, not after over the top bass but I do miss a small sub, or at least having speakers capable of delivering decent lower end, if it's not there.

Interested to know if anyone has listened to both. Also, are they still using Dynaudio for the speakers too?
My dealer told me that it is Harman Kardon, but dont know for shure.

#9 ·
Yellowbelly said:
Marc said:
To be perfectly honest, I'd go with the best you can afford when you take in to consideration all the options. Myself, I will be ordering the best audio system available.
It depends on whether you buy a car to drive, or to sit in and listen to the audio system! ;)
Both! I love to drive and used to be a sound engineer :)

Car ordered... R-Design, Premium Audio, D3 and winter pack. Now just got to wait until mid March...

#10 ·
Quick update. If you're thinking about package to get do not take any other package other than the Premium Multi Media!

It is a fabulous system. The sound is so even and a pleasure to listen, the 5.1 processing even works well via Bluetooth from my iPhone. Whilst not true surround (media recorded in stereo) the processing between the rear of the car, main front speakers and centre speaker is great.

No need for an additional sub in this car, it really is a truly all round system. I played a bit with the EQ having spent 6 years as a sound engineer and ended going back to just about flat. A slight increase in the higher frequencies via the EQ to suit my taste and that's it.

Have listened to very mixed genres of music from classical, rock, metal, African choral and **** even bag pipes! Your ears will be wrapped in the luxurious warm crisp tones with no fatigue providing hours of listening pleasure.

One downside, you're gonna spend more on fuel... I'm taking drives just to listen to music :)

#12 ·
I've got the Premium Sound package - to be honest I'm a little underwhelmed. It seems to be lacking punch and relies too heavily on the centre speaker in the dash.

Unfortunately I don't really know what I'm doing with the settings to try and improve it. Maybe I'll have a trial and error fiddle with the EQ in the next traffic jam I'm in.

#13 ·
I've had the premium sound for a year now...love it. The Dolby PL switched on and the 5 band EQ just so (with the "stage" set to the driver's seat), I can't fault it at any volume. Darren

#15 ·
I'm in the UK and have a c30 r design...love the sound system...throws out whatever music u play and at high volume and full bass too without any distortion.....so if the sound system is like that in my ordered and awaiting V40 r design I will be well pleased.. :) On a footnote is it Harmon that they use in V40 shipped to the UK?? Ive heard all sorts - Bose, Harmon so would appreciate info on what Volvo actually use

#17 ·
@nimren...there's an option in the settings that allows you to "focus" the emphasis of the volume to either "drivers seat" and I think, front seats and centre, though don't quote me. I've tried them all and like it on the driver's seat. You'll enjoy! Darren

#18 ·
I am mot sure which one i have but sound quality isnt bad at sll, has anyone upgraded to the touch screen with spoitfy enabled etc. thinking of doing it but wondering if its worth the £1200 they are asking to do the upgrade.

Also completely off topic but is it just me, everytime i load up the forum after about 20secs i keep getting redirected to the app stores to a william hill betting app? Starting to get really annoying!!

#21 ·
Another iPhone user getting really annoyed with the William Hill popup here.

Played with the EQ on my stereo, seems much better now. Am surprised the premium stereo doesn't seem to have a separate sub, mine seams to be lacking a bit of punch.

#22 ·
@RiCu...that is the purpose of the central dash mounted speaker, it being a twin drive speaker that the standard audio systems do not have. I was confused about this in another post, but playing with the EQ and setting the sound stage to the driver's door...I think it's a cracker.

#23 ·
Sorry to appear a pain lads n lasses - I did ask earlier in the thread if uk V40's have the harman systems in as I have heard various versions ranging from Bose to Harman etc......Can anyone confirm please?? grateful thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.