Volvo V40 Forums banner

Which diesel do you use?

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  chiptivo 
#1 ·
I’ve had my V40 for a couple of weeks now and have so far run two tanks of BP’s expensive diesel through it. It’s quite expensive at £1.47 a litre but I suppose it’s worth the extra if it keeps the engine in fine fettle. Do folks use posh diesel all the time or just occasionally?

#3 · (Edited)
Red 🥳

I joke!!!

I used to know a tanker driver who did deliveries from Stanlow.
He told me to avoid Tesco and Asda, and if I was to go for a supermarket fuel, Sainsburys take their supply from the same as "storage" as BP use for their Diesel which is known as good with the various additives to keep things clean.
The premiums can be good once in a while.

Separate additives are specifically mentioned in the Car's owner manual as NOT to be used, and I suppose a dealer could use this against you if it developed a problem and this was admitted to them. (Even though I think they are just snake oil).

#5 ·
I've had my V40 for 6 years 14300miles &I only ever use supermarket (morrisons, sainsburys )diesel occasionally a shot of the fuel injecter cleaner stuff if I'mgoing on a long road trip &never have any problems
I've used the same supermarkets fuel in my previous cars without any problems

#8 ·
I used Tesco's diesel for 60K miles with no problems at all until trading up last week.

#9 · (Edited)
I use V Power all the tiime on my 5 pot D4, better than BP Ultimate due to higher cetane rating.
It gives me 2 to 3 miles better MPG than standard Shell diesel, and the engine runs much smoother with less diesel clatter.
On another point, my exhaust tips are clean and no soot whatsoever.

#10 ·
I'm using standard Diesel and recently Shell V-Power and Aral Ultimate Diesel here in germany.

I've just been on a trip to sweden and tested the new Biodiesel HVO100 now for the second time and all in all for around 4000 kilometers. This is a completely fossil-free synthetic diesel with a very high cetane rating than any normal or premium diesel and reductions significant reductions in CO2, soot, NoX, etc. In sweden you can get it in more populated areas and motorways, it costs around 0,10€ more than standard diesel.

Volvo approved this fuel in all newer VEA engines from 2015 onwards, but not the old 5-pot that I have. Nevertheless, I don't see any risk in using it, to the contrary, the engine runs significantly quieter, consumption is slightly better and with that reduction of CO2 (up to 90%) it seems to be an excellent "bridge technology" that can compete with any new electric car easily.
Sadly in germany, authorities don't want to adopt the new EN 15970 rating for "parafinic fuels" and therefore, selling this fuel is forbidden here, as it slightly does not reach the necessary density to be also rated for EN590 standard diesel. In every other respect, this stuff is miles ahead of traditional fossil diesel. Legally you can drive it afaik in whole scandinavia, the Netherlands and Belgium.

#12 ·
I'm using standard Diesel and recently Shell V-Power and Aral Ultimate Diesel here in germany.

I've just been on a trip to sweden and tested the new Biodiesel HVO100 now for the second time and all in all for around 4000 kilometers. This is a completely fossil-free synthetic diesel with a very high cetane rating than any normal or premium diesel and reductions significant reductions in CO2, soot, NoX, etc. In sweden you can get it in more populated areas and motorways, it costs around 0,10€ more than standard diesel.

Volvo approved this fuel in all newer VEA engines from 2015 onwards, but not the old 5-pot that I have. Nevertheless, I don't see any risk in using it, to the contrary, the engine runs significantly quieter, consumption is slightly better and with that reduction of CO2 (up to 90%) it seems to be an excellent "bridge technology" that can compete with any new electric car easily.
Sadly in germany, authorities don't want to adopt the new EN 15970 rating for "parafinic fuels" and therefore, selling this fuel is forbidden here, as it slightly does not reach the necessary density to be also rated for EN590 standard diesel. In every other respect, this stuff is miles ahead of traditional fossil diesel. Legally you can drive it afaik in whole scandinavia, the Netherlands and Belgium.
This is the way forward.
F1 have committed to using non fossil fuels from 2025 onwards.
Electric cars are such a false economy, the pollution the creation and disposal of the batteries is terrible.
Also the dangers in Lithium usage, especially in car accidents will become an issue in decades to come.
Electric cars and the recycling will become more of an issue that petrol or diesel cars as they become more widespread.
We still generate electricity from fossil fuels worldwide.
In my opinion the electric car experiment will be over in a decade.

Reactions: driverjgp
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.