Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has started life on Pirelli's and in the normal course of events (40,000 miles PA) will go through a set every year.
Pirelli isn't bad, they have good grip, maybe ride a little hard, perhaps are noisier on some surfaces...BUT...I have seen V40's on Continental and Michelin tyres!
I like the alternative tyre greatly, but I wonder if there is a definitive tyre choice depending on whether you have a D or T model given our SH1T road surface quality? Debate if you will...perhaps a census on what rubber is put on our cars?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have Michellin on mine, got it like that. Front tyres already look like they have done 30000km after only 7000km. Otherwise, very good grip, road noise is soft, not as bad and loud as Bridgestones I had on my Mazda.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Michelin Green X on mine, satisfied so far. Decent grip, a bit noisy, very low rolling resistance. I feel I can coast 50% longer than in my other car.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have Michellin on mine, got it like that. Front tyres already look like they have done 30000km after only 7000km. Otherwise, very good grip, road noise is soft, not as bad and loud as Bridgestones I had on my Mazda.
Had michellin on my previous car got about 15000km on them so from me
good grip in the dry / wet to very wet conditions they where crap they just let go to quickly

·
Registered
221 Posts
My D2 powershift has Pirelli on board. Being powershift it does not have the smaller tyre, it came with 225/45 on 17 inch rims.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have mich's on my 18's and can't wait to get rid of them, will likely go Bridgestone next (have them on the ST and they a quite good)

I do not Pirelli, they tend to have a soft carcass and get punctures easy, also I had a bad experience with p-zero s on the lotus (they were terrible, the back stepped out whenever the roads were damp

Goodyear assay metrics are supposed to be ok

I also like Yokohama but they do not last.

Remember to swap your tires when the fronts get to about 4 mm so they all ware out together so you can swap all 4 at the same time and keep the same grip on all 4 corners

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I would have thought that all our cars would come out with the same brand of tyre, like BMW would say choose Bridgestone and Merc Continental for example.

·
Registered
945 Posts
As above the spec, likely use of the car, and where in the world the car will run, all these differences along with economics/cost to the vehicle manufacture will determined what tire goes on each car

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after putting a bulge in a tyre through a pot hole and the rears (recently swapped) down to 2mm, the Lease company have removed the Pirelli's and due to Kwik Fit having Continental's in stock, we're now wearing Contisportcontact 5's...I must say that I'm not sure I can feel, hear, notice anything different between them and the previous Pirelli boots...other than the Continentals taking an age to "bed in"..

·
Registered
389 Posts
I work for a car manufacturer in the Uk and i look after the wheel and tyre assembly machines, we use three different brands of tyres on the same alloys wheels. Speaking to production its just pot luck what tyres you get. They put on whatever tyre they have in stock at the time. We use dunlop, Michelin and continental on the same alloys for the same spec car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My car's still on it's factory Pirelli P-Zeros. They seem OK, were better in the snow than I was expecting, quiet enough, have more dry grip than I need and have been fine in the wet. Would probably just go with the same again.

Have Dunlop SportMax on our Scirocco, while they're very grippy in the dry and wet, it's been dreadful in the snow - so wouldn't recommend them as a year-round tyre.

Reactions: ZiggerZagger
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.