Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just looking at possibly upgrading from a 2014 D2 to a new D3 and was wondering which model year has the new Thor hammer style lights like you can see on the below link?

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-models/v40

Any other major differences between current / MY16 models and a 2014?

Thanks!
As motmot said above, the facelift with the new headlights was MY17, which stared delivery a month or two ago.

2014 is spit into 2 model years as a major manufacturing update that changed dome of the details of the V40 occurred half-way though the year, mostly to do with cost reduction. MY14 cars (those built between late 2013 and early 2014) still are mostly the same as MY13, with the exception that DAB became standard in the UK.

The MY14.5 mid-year update (cars built from early 2014) reduced costs by deleting things like the R Design grille and seat badging, one of the boot courtesy lights (if the enhanced interior lighting option was specified), the inner front seat rail end caps and so on. The major addition was the introduction of the VEA engines and upgrading of the multimedia system to Sensus Connect.

·
Registered
314 Posts
MY16 cars don't have the Thor hammer lights it's the MY17 cars that have them.
And there are lots of changes on these new version names and spec.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all responses

We have a MY14 then by the sounds of it was we DO have the badging on seats and grille

Will have to chat with the dealer and see tomorrow, but I believe the one they have in stock by the sounds of it is a MY16, hence the reasonably large discount to get it out...

·
Registered
60 Posts
It is MY17. I have got one about a month ago, ordered back in April as MY17 and it has lots of upgrades and improvements compared to previous model years.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What model are you looking at getting as that will narrow down the list.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Biggest change will be the engine all new v40 diesels are the vea 2.0 lt 4 cylinder engine.
The headlights are now Led lights.
The R-design Lux is now the pro and has even more upgrades ie 18 inch alloys rear parking sensors and privacy glass.
Will look up more later as I am having difficulties finding my14 spec.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Biggest change will be the engine all new v40 diesels are the vea 2.0 lt 4 cylinder engine.
The headlights are now Led lights.
The R-design Lux is now the pro and has even more upgrades ie 18 inch alloys rear parking sensors and privacy glass.
Will look up more later as I am having difficulties finding my14 spec.
Improvements to the multimedia system as well, Sensus Connect is now default as I understand.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Having seen a few (standard) V40's with the hammer lights in the last month or so, I spotted my first updated CrossCountry this morning in Malton N. Yorks on my run to work.

Not sure on first impression I'm for the new look of the CorossCountry over our MY15 version mind.

Ed875

·
Registered
Volvo v40 D3 Cross Country (Automatic)
7 Posts
Hi All,

Apologize to comment on so old post, but what is this MY16, MY17 that you are mentioning?
How can I check that? Is this the Year produced?

Thanks.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have an early 2016 model and that does NOT have LED headlights.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Model years change around November each year, and each model year is also split into two groups, early and late., pre/post May.

Thor's Hammer LED headlights first appeared on MY17 cars from around November 2016 onwards. My car has them, built in December 2016 and registered the same month. It also has the then new M76 manual gearbox, which was described in literature as the "week 46 gearbox update", so I'm guessing that week 46 or around the first week of November is the model year change date.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi All,

Apologize to comment on so old post, but what is this MY16, MY17 that you are mentioning?
How can I check that? Is this the Year produced?

Thanks.
The MY information is in the VIN displayed on the car.

The number ranges in the VOSA recall notices are the Chassis Number, which should be the last 6 digits of the VIN.
You can find the format of Volvo's VIN numbers here:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Volvo/VIN_Codes

An example of the V40 model's VIN should look like:

YV1 = Manufacturer ID (Volvo Car)
M = Vehicle Code (V40 2013-)
V = Platform Type (V40 FWD)
84 = Engine Code (84 = D4162T - D2 1.6)
2 = Emissions Code (2 = Euro 5)
1 = Gearbox Code (1 = MMT6 6-speed manual)
D = Year Code (D = 2013)
2 = Assembly Plant (2 = Ghent, Belgium)
012345 = Chassis Number
So year code F is 2015MY, G is 2016, H is 2017, J is 2018

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just a personal opinion here, but I don't like the look of the "Thor" headlight unit.
Each to there own, and all that !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts