Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm going to ordering a V40 R Design this week.

I can't quite decide which options to tick, so was hoping to see what you all think?

I am thinking of going for the D3 in automatic. I was a bit disappointed that the v40 doesn't have one of the dual clutch gearboxes for the diesel engined cars, although the reviews do seem to say that the gearbox on it is good and suits the engines well.

After that, I can't quite decide what options to go for! I know I definitely want the winter pack, and either rear parking sensors or camera, cruise control, DAB radio and the autodimming mirror.

Some of things I'd really like are the Lux pack (mostly for the full leather, Xenon lights and keyless entry), the Premium audio, the power driver's seat, and even Sat Nav. I'd also like the driver support pack, mainly for the adaptive cruise control and the full auto brake and queue assist.

The options do add up very quickly though, so I can't quite decide what to tick!

What do you think are must-haves - even if just for resale later down the line?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd pick the ones which will actually get used and/or benefit you....if it won't be of use, don't bother :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also I think dab comes add standard on the 2014 spec.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
718 Posts
I went for the Lux pack, but that didn't include keyless entry. I have had that before. Quite nice, but I didn't think it was value for money. The standard system is fine. Use the key to unlock, then put it in your pocket (or handbag). It only needs to be in the car for starting.
Unless you rely on SatNav, the built in one is expensive. I already had a Garmin with lifetime updates which I only use on long journeys or if I am not sure of my directions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone.

That's interesting on the keyless start - I thought that the lux pack had full keyless entry and start, but you're right, I've just had another look and it says 'Keyless Start without lockknob'
So you have to unlock the car with the key, but then you don't actually need to put the key into it's slot to press the start button?

I've pretty much decided on the options. I had a test drive of the d3 auto, and absolutely loved it, the gearbox is very smooth but also very responsive, it has to be one of the best auto gearboxes I've driven!

I'll go for a D3 Auto R-Design Lux / Nav / Winter, in Rebel Blue with rear park assist.

I did debate on the sat nav, but in the end, I think it will help resale in the future, and I liked that it includes voice commands and the larger screen in the car - those 2 functions along with the sat nav and dvd player swung it for me

The only other question that I had was - does the Rear Park Assist Camera include parking sensors as well? I don't think it does as it's only £50 more than the parking sensors along, but my local dealer seemed to think it does, and a video on youtube shows both on the screen (though that may have just been specced on that car)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers, I didn't think it had.

Well, my order is placed, I'm told that it will be roughly 12 weeks, a long time to wait but worth it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops, order not yet placed. Volvo have updated the new online configurator overnight, and it can't currently have both Lux and Nav packs together.

It is possible as the e-brochure has been updated to the new specs, and that shows it is possible, so just waiting on Volvo to sort out the teething problems then they'll place my order.

With a 12 week wait waiting an extra day or two won't make a lot of difference!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good luck with the options man :) sounds good.
I've just placed my order a couple of weeks ago but opted not to have it delivered til September. I'm on countdown - 119 days to go!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow, September is a long time! Is that to catch the new reg plate?

Cheers, hopefully should have it ordered within the next couple of days then it's what feels like a long wait for the car to arrive. I can't wait!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Indeed - it'll be a 63 plate.
I'm so trying not to think about, gonna be the longest summer ever.
12 weeks appears to be the standard waiting length quoted. Evidence from others posted on here suggest it may be a few weeks sooner though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I'm hoping - the local dealer also said that he'd expect it sooner than 12 weeks, but I'll stick to 12 and if it arrives sooner it will be a bonus!

·
Registered
273 Posts
If it's of any use, I've had an R-design Lux Nav in rebel Blue with the following extras...dark rear windows, DAB radio, Premium Sound...for 7 weeks now and it's perfect. The only thing I wished i'd got was the electrically adjustable drivers seat, otherwise perfect!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Im picking up my V40 R-Design D2 tomorrow morning! Can't wait!

For info, I ordered V40 R-Design D2 Rebel Blue, Tinted Rears and Park Assist Pilot, Only ordered the Park assist Pilot because I wanted front and rear sensors and it wasn't too much more for PAP. Plus it's a show off toy, but doubt I'll use it much in real life.

Apart from that I felt I could happily live without all the other toys, I've never been a big fan of Electric seats, especially as I'll be the 99% driver!

D.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds great, it's good to hear owners so happy with their cars!

I am wondering whether to have gone for power driver's seat. I'd be the only driver, but it would be nice having the memory on rare occasions when someone else drives the car, and the auto dip rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well picked mine up yesterday morning..... Awesome car, drives fantastically well, much better than the D2 specs really should! The D2 is also really smooth and quiet for a diesel.

No issues with the car, but I think the tinted rears are a must as they look great with rebel blue. Haven't used the park assist pilot yet, but will try to over the next few days.

Definately a head turner, especially in Rebel Blue, I've only seen one other Rdesign on the road (black) around here and a couple of non R Designs, so the rare factor is good too.

Surprised a lot of friends when they saw it and especially when they got in, the 'Volvo' name appears to still have an 'old man' tag, but that changes as soon as they see it.

Only slight gripe is the normal one about not knowing the status of the lights DRL/dip etc.. Without looking down to the light switch, but only a slight annoyance, as I just leave it on auto and it sorts everything.

So all round could not be happier, so don't feel I've missed out on any of the other options as there are plenty of toys on the normal car, btw I've found the standard audio system surprisingly good, not going to win any audiophile prizes, but much much better than other cars I've driven recently.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Concur on the D2 engine, though given it has more power than our current Vauxhall 2.0DTi Zafira (which is rated at 100bhp/169ftlbs and is also a good few hundred KG heavier) we did think it may feel that bit nicer :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fantastic, congratulations!
That D2 engine seems fantastic, and as you say it feels so much better than it might look on paper.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As someone who has had an R Design Lux Nav since 10th March and somehow managed to put 8,000 miles on it, I'd like to think how the V40 ticks! Lux option yes, Nav yes, Auto dimming yes, Premium Audio "oh" yes, DAB yes, memory seats a must! Rebel Blue a definite no no as mine's in Rebel Blue!!! I love this car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts