Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings V40'ers.
I'm in the market to buy a used D3 V40 AUTO. Do I go 5 cylinder 2.0 or 4 cylinder 2.0. I intend to get a tune done to bring me to the D4 power levels or possibly more as I believe its just the ecu tune that is the restriction on the D3.
Secondly will the Powershift auto box handle the additional torque? What is the max T it can handle?
TIA

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can only speak for the 5 cylinder, I have a D3, raised to D4 level with the Polestar upgrade, which was worth every penny! I absolutely love the power curve and also the mild refinement of the gearbox, which is by the way not the powershift, but a classic auto box called Geartronic. This box has also been used in bigger Volvos up till the XC90 D5 with well over 200 hp. It can handle 450NM officially, but I read it can do 500.. The engine is probably also good for 200+ hp, but the 177hp of the D4 is bullet proof and an "official" solution, for me there's plenty of power and torque!
Last thing: the sound! Diesels normally don't sound good in any way, but this 5 cylinder growl is very satisfying and pleasant in my ears, sounds a lot bigger than a standard 2 litre diesel engine.
So if you ask me, get your hands on one of the last original Volvo 5 cylinders. 90% seem to be D3, but the polestar upgrade is nowadays only around 600€. If you're out for a VEA D3 and want to do a software remap, note that it is a different engine compared to the VEA D4 (which has 2 turbos!), while the 5 cylinder D3 and D4 are identical except for the tune.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You want performance then, R Design every time, why buy something that you are going to retune?
D is for Diesel and Dud performance sorry to say
But R-Design models have the same petrol or diesel engines as the rest of the range. Much of the difference in R-Design models amounts to stylistically different parts to "enhance" it's appearance - an "attention-grabbing exterior" to quote Volvo, or a matter of individual taste. By all means buy an R-Design if it's the model you prefer, but I struggle to see where any engine performance benefit comes from without carrying out the same retuning on the same engines? They aren't tuned any differently to the same engines in the rest of the range.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It may have varied somewhat over time but whenever I looked at V40s, and certainly when I bought mine, R-design was indeed just a "style" selection, with (usually) a lowered suspension/stance and maybe a different mix of standard "options".
If you want more performance buy one with a more powerful engine or, if available, have a Polestar (or 3rd-party) tune.
That's why I went for a T5 Cross-Country (and had it Polestar'ed), best performance and best traction. And as a bonus slightly higher for better ground clearance on our poor roads and easier to get in/out. Lots of reasons that I won't bore anyone with why petrol not diesel was preferred for us.

Reactions: RS3100
1 - 6 of 6 Posts