Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I definitely think my heart is set on a V40, but I'm having real trouble deciding on the best compromises for my needs. I'll be in the car for 1hr-1.5hrs a day, and do a mix of town/motorway driving (18k miles/yr).

Which engine is best? I've driven a D2, D3 and T2, T3. T3 seems too uneconomical - is there any view on T2 economy or is it likely to be similar? D2 is fine performance, but as I want to keep for 3-5 years, do you think its performance will become frustrating, how do long-term owners feel about the engine? Is the DPF a problem?

Trim wise I think I want SE Nav? Nav seems rare, but am I right in thinking it upgrades the audio system too, and allows you to play video on the screen (the other half likes to watch iPhone video)? I don't need Lux spec, but have been quite taken with R-Design? Problem there seems to be the D2 gets sports suspension and a lack of cruise control (I do long-distance motorway twice a month)? Does that ruin the ride? I've only driven the D2 SE Lux, D3 SE and the T2 ES Nav? I also think the console stripe on R-Design is a bit odd...

I really don't want to buy a Golf/A3 1.4 TSi, but that engine seems so sensible for my needs! I love what I've read on the D4 Drive-E but I have to buy used as I can't afford new sadly!!! Thanks for any responses!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hi, doing the miles you are I would think a diesel would pay big dividends

Have you thought about leasing a new one as if I were you I would be looking for an avenue to get in a D4 :angel:

Reactions: KrisV40

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi, doing the miles you are I would think a diesel would pay big dividends

Have you thought about leasing a new one as if I were you I would be looking for an avenue to get in a D4 :angel:
I feel the same to about the D4, yet the D2's I test drove never felt like they lacked the pace for day to day driving, and I felt I could easily live with the D2's performance for 3 years. It was just that my budget could stretch to a D4 so I did.

Confusedbuyer the R Designs suspension I am lead to believe is half way between the optional sports suspension, so not as firm, in the short test drive I did I felt it was compliant enough to not be tiresome everyday. Besides on motorway driving I doubt you would notice, it's more the pot holed riddled B roads.

Plenty of D2 r designs out there to test drive.

And plenty of good used D2's to choose from.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My R Design definitely groans over the bumps and holes of Hertfordshire's B roads. Not a pleasant experience.

On the other hand a good road surface brings dividends and the handling is superb.

18" wheels don't help. Stick with the 17's imho.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had a T3 SE Lux Nav for just over a year and am really happy with the car as an overall package (comfort/performance/economy/refinement)

Lots of folks seem dead keen on the oil burning engines (mainly for economy reasons) However, after driving a D3 as a hire car and then test driving a T3, I ordered the T3 without hesitation! I accept I only do around 8000 miles a year but 45+ mpg is easily achievable (which is not far off some of the mpg figures I've seen quoted for the D3!) The T3 engine is a gem with plenty of grunt when needed but its also quiet and smooth. Can't say I've seen a T2 on the road!

Not sure about Nav being rare but I think its worth it as its so well integrated and yes I can play DVD's etc (but the audio upgrade is a separate option) If you can stretch to it, I'd definitely go for leather (a car of this class deserves nothing less!)

·
Registered
252 Posts
According to official figures the T2 and T3 have identical economy? So it's a no-brainer to opt for the bigger motor with 30 more hp.

I regularily jump between father's D2 and my T3 and the difference in throttle response is most noticeable.
The D2 has to be driven in which case it goes quite well, but the T3 is more relaxing- feather the accelerator in normal driving, but when the need to overtake arises a sharp prod produces the goods :thumbup:

Remember the petrols only need to be serviced at 18k, but the D2 has to visit the dealer every 12,000, and the diesel service will cost you more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had (have) the same concerns re. the D2 R Design suspension as I drove a D2 SE for the test. Doing as much online research as I could, it seems that it is stiffer, but not too much. I'll be receiving my delivery in a couple weeks, so I'll find out for sure then. I'm stepping out of a BMW 330i M Sport, so the suspension on that is pretty stiff. I imagine the D2 R Design would be similar or better than the BMW.

Also, my BMW has almost 260bhp and the D2 didn't seem too slow (and I've had much quicker cars previously). Torque was fine at speed, allowing decent pickup on motorways etc. With the miles you do, I would seriously consider the D2, but then the new D4 is also pretty economical with more power. I managed 75mpg out of the demo car I had for a few days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dear Confusedbuyer,

You’re definitely looking at the right car!

I have similar driving needs as you: spend 1-2 hours/day driving. I do regurlarly also long distance trips (300-400 km at once). I’m a very pleased owner of a V40 with the D2 (94 g/km version). It has plenty enough power for my needs. Only when carrying heavy loads or with 3-4 passengers the car can feel a bit underpowered. When I’m cruising alone or with one passenger (which I do most of the time), the car feels even a bit sporty. The whole point of choosing D2 is it’s low emissions and fuel consumption, which in my opinions is far more important than speed and power.

As what comes to other spec related questions. My car has lowered suspension done by Volvo at the factory. It certainly looks very good, being a bit lower. It also gives better driving characteristics. Mine is one spec away from the ”fully loaded” (in our market my spec is called ”Momentum”, which comes before the top range version ”Summum”). This means my car has 16’ wheels (both summer and winter), which compensates for the firmer suspension, meaning that the ride isn’t too firm.

Mine has everything you really need: cruise control/speed limiter (also useful in city), xenon lights, rain sensor, parking censors both front and rear (i.e. park assist pilot) and rear camera, fuel driven parking heater, Volvo on Call, digital instrument cluster etc.

I drive in cold climate here in Finland and I’m happy to report that I’ve never had any problems with the DPF. Not even when it was really cold -30 °C last winter.

Quess you’ll have to test different versions of the lovely V40 to find the car that suits you best.

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
DPF a problem? There are those in fear of an issue. 35,000 miles in my D2 and it's run flawlessly from day one. There will always be a few vehicles that hit problems. But I personally don't worry about the few articles on the inet that have now been taken as fact. Indeed from what I have read, most dpf issues are spouted from companies selling services to counter the supposed dpf issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My R Design definitely groans over the bumps and holes of Hertfordshire's B roads. Not a pleasant experience.

On the other hand a good road surface brings dividends and the handling is superb.

18" wheels don't help. Stick with the 17's imho.
Interesting - I just had a loaner V60 R Design that had a D2.
Handling was great but I couldn't wait to get back to my V40 with D3. The D2 was sluggish, and very slow off the mark. Partly from the underpowered engine, and partly from the start-stop system that was noticeably slower in the V60 than my V40.

You're right about the potholes - and Herts is full of them!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well the D3 is bound to have more grunt than the D2. No brainer. But in saying that, the V60 is more weight to haul around for the poor D2?

I don't think either the V40 D2 or D3 variants can be considered high performance vehicles mind you. The V40 is a great car, but at the end of the day its a compact family saloon, not a high performance sports car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!!

I've found a few cars I'm test-driving tomorrow - a D2 SE Nav, a D2 SE Lux and a D3 SE Nav. It's fascinating how many people seem to have customised their cars with Volvo. The D2 Se Lux has the panoramic roof but no heated seats/screen. The D2 SE Nav has the winter illumination pack and TFT display - what does this actually consist of?

I've also been told the SE Nav D3 has Park Pilot and the dealer (not a Volvo dealer) said it must have rear parking sensors for normal parking "he guesses" would he br right? Would it also come with the tft display as a result? Volvo configurator said it would, but any heads up would be grand!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone!!

Very right - D2 is the one for me! Test drove an R-design, but took a speed bump at 15mph and felt it wasn't for me. Very tight handling though!

I'm down to an SE Lux (Passion Red; Rear Parking Sensors, Pan Roof, 28k miles) or the SE Nav D2 (Park Pilot, Winter Illumination Pack, Elec Drivers Seat, TFT, Privacy Glass in silver, 17k miles). I've had to pay a £100 deposit on the SE Nav which I'd lose if I change my mind, and I think its the one to go for at £1k cheaper (they're both MY13, 62 reg). I just love the look of the red and the leather, but I'm guessing the Nav is likely to be worth the same come resale because of the packs and I like the TFT screen so is a better investment?

Also has anyone had any problems with the seatbelt "winders" (sorry I don't know the tech term) but the Drivers one doesn't really zip back very well like it's broken? Would it be covered by warranty?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi everyone!!

Very right - D2 is the one for me! Test drove an R-design, but took a speed bump at 15mph and felt it wasn't for me. Very tight handling though!

I'm down to an SE Lux (Passion Red; Rear Parking Sensors, Pan Roof, 28k miles) or the SE Nav D2 (Park Pilot, Winter Illumination Pack, Elec Drivers Seat, TFT, Privacy Glass in silver, 17k miles). I've had to pay a £100 deposit on the SE Nav which I'd lose if I change my mind, and I think its the one to go for at £1k cheaper (they're both MY13, 62 reg). I just love the look of the red and the leather, but I'm guessing the Nav is likely to be worth the same come resale because of the packs and I like the TFT screen so is a better investment?

Also has anyone had any problems with the seatbelt "winders" (sorry I don't know the tech term) but the Drivers one doesn't really zip back very well like it's broken? Would it be covered by warranty?
By the time a car's a few years old most of the options add nothing significant to the value - used buyers are concerned about mileage, service history etc., so buy whichever you like better, or better still - wait for the one that has it all: there's plenty out there if you're patient.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
My only advice would be; Don't get a D3 (I own one). Either go for the D2 if you want economy or D4 (more power and yet same CO2 figure and as good or better economy as the D3).

Re the DPF. Be aware that on the D2 only, it needs to be replaced completely every 72000 miles at a cost of £800 or so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.