Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also was in impression that D2 is Ford engine by its origin but frend having Focus told me that it is originally PSA.
Dont make it any worse, I have D2 engine in my current V50 and no complaints abaut that, altough it could have more power:), but I guess that is with all engines.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On one hand you could think it's not a good thing that it's not truly a Volvo engine, but for so many manufacturers to use it, it must have something going for it. Only a week or two til I get my D2, cannot wait!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Indeed PSA motor..

Therefore I went for my new V40 for the D4 (real Volvo Engine) and not again for a D2..

D2 will be going away next year I assume because the old stock of PSA engines that Volvo still had has to end..

Next year I guess there will come a downside VEA D4 engine..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Until it suffers from carbon build up/the turbo dies......(don't shoot the messenger)

The mini also runs a psa engine.

Volvo were the savour of performance small-ish capacity ford with the t-5, that is a great engine (until the liners crack)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Until it suffers from carbon build up/the turbo dies......(don't shoot the messenger)

The mini also runs a psa engine.

Volvo were the savour of performance small-ish capacity ford with the t-5, that is a great engine (until the liners crack)
Not the same old repetitive shite yet again. Dear me Dennis. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Me shooting? Lol. Nope. i just like optimism. Constant whingeing and whining gets folks down a little. There are some people that can be referred to as mood hoovers. They suck the happiness and good will right out of everyone by their moaning comments and presence. There are some guys here just enjoying their new car, but there is a minority that just keep digging away. You have had a crap experience with your car. Get over it mate. Move on. Do something positive. Say something positive. Accept there are others having a great V40 experience and stop whining!

·
Registered
197 Posts
D2 is a great engine, no matter if its origin is PSA or Ford or whatever. Even French can design very good engines, they have a long tradition in doing that. I appreciate its consumption, a great torque (actually one of the highest amongst 1.6 diesels) and I don't feel like I'm a brake in traffic flow, quite contrary to that. For driving in most european countries where speed limit is 130 km/h (70 mph in the UK) its power is more than sufficient and V40 accelerates quickly within these speeds. If I lived in Germany and wanted to drive 160+ km/h and still have a reserve for power quick acceleration then I would probably choose D4. Plus my V40 is registered in the Netherlands and I don't have to pay a fortune for road tax.

Just to make the story short... D2 is an excellent engine, suitable for most people's needs :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
The post was nothing wrong with the d2 engine, i simply responded.

I also run a d2 on my fleet and that has just had its 3rd service (is just 12 months old) so is a mile muncher and only issue that it has had (touch wood) is a clutch that occasionally does not return (Volvo don't want to know as always fine by the time it gets in but that is generally the same with most marques regardless of how much you pay, see the guy in America on YouTube with his Porsche)

When the psa 1.6 oil burner is run it does do very well but it can have problems if it constantly used n short journeys (hopefully it will not effect drivers on here)

I am simply stating the way it is (I even tried to point out that event the great 2.5 T5 has an issue to show many engines including the well regarded Volvo lump has one to provide a balanced view) psa have in their history created some great cars and engines, the Xu9j4 (mi16) was amazing in its day and is still well regarded

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.