Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that this will be available in 2014 for several models, but I could not read anywhere that it would be also the case for the V40.

Does anyone know more about this? They would be a nice option in my opinion.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd really like them, but I would want them to have the ability to override regardless of where the stick is.

In the VW vehicles, you can have the stick in Drive, Sport or the tiptronic slot. Pressing on the paddle shifter will drop / climb a gear immediately. It works very well too. After a period of time, it will revert to the previous setting of Drive / Sport / Tiptronic.

I hope Volvo do bring this out at some point, and somehow make it a retrofit option for Geartronic and Powershift models.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and I hope that the reliability is really good, because in the VW DSG case there have been many issues....

I've read very good comments about the powershift. Are you happy with it? Any issues?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Only done 400 miles, but so far we are very happy with it. No issues at this time :) hopefully never.

The D2/Powershift combination works very well, much better than we anticipated even.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not a fan of paddels, it was terrible on the maserati (but that was one of the first) the XFs is not bad but the citroen box/system is pants.

I find it harder to drive than a manual and thye never seem to change when you want them too.

Stick to a manual

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I was told to stay away from powershift, but have another friend who has powershift in his S60 T4, and no issues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's the Ford system I am told, and it's been going strong for about 3 years now. The initial problems with shifting were ironed out in the Focus, it's had a few software updates over the pre-Volvo time. They reckon its all sorted and good for use now.

I find it shifts almost perfectly in sync with where I would have manually shifted. In sport mode it hold the gears longer, turns off auto-stop and really makes the car a lot more responsive to the throttle.

Tonight I had it in sport, I was given a gap in a long stream of traffic to go through, at which point another car came around the side of the stopped car and we came within inches of each other. The V40 went where I needed it to go, I felt totally in control all the time. Had we come together it totally woulda been my fault, kudo's to the other driver for taking avoiding action as well. I would have been heart broken if I had scratched my V40.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts