Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced issues with their front windscreen heater element. I picked up a v40 t5 2017 a week ago(very excited), its got 25k miles on the clock and looks like an original windscreen with volvo branding and only part of the front heater element seems to work, the driver side half works, then there is a column of about 1-2 inches that does not work towards the center, then a column of about 3-4 inches that works and then finally the remainder of the area in front of the passenger sides does not appear to work.

in the last week I have used it three times, the first time there was very light frosting, the second and third time the frost on the windscreen has been a bit thicker and more notifiable that it appears not to work all the way across.

Has anyone experienced this, is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this, do you know if this would be something that would be covered under a warranty?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I noticed my 2013 V40 D2 has a couple of strips out as well but most of them are working so it clears ok - I have not tried to claim anything as we purchased the car about 3 years ago second hand from a dealer so interested to hear how you get on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a new V60 loan car, weeks old, with 3 strips out. still worked well to be fair, but visible condensation lines inside

·
Registered
620 Posts
My old Mk1 Ford Focus (preceded the V40) had a heated windscreen which occasionally had failing elements/sections. In the 17 or so years we had it I think we replaced it 2 or 3 times using insurance due to impact damage.......
(If anyone is interested it was a VERY VERY early model just after launch in 1998 when they made them properly with no cost-cutting and survived until late 2016 at least! A 1.8 Zetec which also had ABS and lots of other modern extras and upgrades, even eventually an ex-Mondeo SatNav which was pretty much plug-and-play!)

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it is clear that there's more than just a couple of individual elements that have failed (which it certainly sounds like) then it should be covered under warranty, but if you had any trouble with that angle, you should go back to the dealership you bought the car from and claim that it does not meet the promises under the Trade Descriptions Act.

DO NOT try to diagnose it yourself. The heated windscreen system is a high-current system and you definitely don't want to become an accidental part of that circuit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello ! I had an issue with my original Volvo windscreen heater. Part of the windshield was not heating. And this from the start, I got it new. But I took the time to check this with a thermal camera only 3 years late 😜
After verification by my mechanic, the windshield was changed under Volvo warranty.

Do not hesitate to go to your garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts