Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, can anyone help me with this, or have any idea what to do/what to check? Probably a windscreen replacement would fix the problem, but I'd prefer solve this by myself.馃槄
(2015/12 V40 D2 R-Design)

Thank you!

Registered
That's definitely a faulty windscreen with failed heating elements, replacement is your only option.

Registered
Someone posted a few days ago about a similar problem, they fixed is by checking the multiplugs, they are at the bottom of the windscreen on the left and right of the car in the engine bay.

It might not work, but it is an easy thing to check before going to the expense of a new screen

Registered
A faulty multiplug would disconnect half the screen, that's clearly not the case here. It's broken.
I've had cars with heated windscreens for over 20 years (the first was a 1998 Ford Focus) and had a fair few failures.

Registered
A faulty multiplug would disconnect half the screen, that's clearly not the case here. It's broken.
I've had cars with heated windscreens for over 20 years (the first was a 1998 Ford Focus) and had a fair few failures.
I'm not contesting that it probably is knackered, but it is far far cheaper to check a couple of plugs under the bonnet before going the whole hog on a windscreen replacement.

Registered
Cheap if you can do it yourself, true. The correct technical way would be to go to those connectors and measure with a multimeter the resistance of the screen elements, which would confirm whether or not a significant percentage had failed. I don't have the correct readings, but a comparison between the left and right sides would probably be definitive, depending how the other side functions in comparison.
Though personally, based on experience I wouldn't bother; that picture is a blatant diagnosis on its own. I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do it.

I'd also be checking the screen very carefully for impact damage, cracks etc. Depending on the insurance situation evidence of such damage might make an insurance claim a more cost-effective way of replacing the screen.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for all the replies. I'll check the multiplugs, luckily I have the opportunity to measure with multimeter. But based on what HPSause said it wont really work. Sad, but worth a try. I dont think if I will replace the windscreen only because of this, so I'll just leave it like this. I noticed that if I turn the heater on multiple times, it can defrost almost the entire windscreen.

Thanks guys!

Registered
As you say if you press the front heated screen button twice,first press electric heating,second press electric and blower,icons in display when active,don't even have too wait for engine to warm up completely,does take a minute or two to work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts