Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So sometime during the lockdown, a sizeable branch must blown and fallen off and landed on around the A pillar of the car, and has left a 6-7 inch crack on the glass (such is my luck). I'm confident it's not somebody trying to smash it or anything, it's in a locked compound, there are trees around and many felled branches nearby. I know claims for windshield doesn't affect NCB, and it's from £10 - £75 excess.
My question is: are cracks like such (it's only on the other layer and hasn't gone inside) usually repairable, or most experience is only the full windscreen replacement.
Plus also does it need a Volvo glass, and later calibration for the city braking via dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The wifes my17 didn't need recalibration at a workshop. Fitter waffled something about dynamic calibration. Outcome is that everything works fine and I am pretty sure it wasnt a 'Volvo' windscreen. I can only offer a personal reply re repair or replacement. I would expect that amount of failure to require replacement if it were mine.
hth

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks nasty. Not much fun for you...

I would hazard a guess that the windscreen cannot be repaired because it has cracked rather than chipped. Therefore, a replacement will be required. According to Autoglass ie:

If the glass is cracked, it cannot be repaired, and a replacement is required. The reason for this is that even if the crack looks fairly minor, it undermines the strength of the windscreen as a whole – and that puts your safety, and that of your passengers, at risk. Windscreens not only offers shelter from the elements, it also provides around 30% of the vehicle’s structural integrity. As well as this, windscreens are a vital component when it comes to airbags. A windscreen that is weak or damaged can become completely detached when an airbag deploys. This would also cause the airbag to inflate over the dashboard and not provide vital protection to the passenger/driver.
Your insurer will likely arrange a repair with an approved third party provider. According to the user manual:

Before replacing a windscreen, contact an authorised Volvo workshop to verify that the correct windscreen is ordered and fitted.
I am sure that most national automotive glass contractors have extensive experience with handling windscreens which are fitted with the sensors found in modern cars. If in any doubt, I would consult your local Volvo dealer and highlight any concerns to the insurer.

Last, you may wish to consider that driving the vehicle with a cracked windscreen could constitute a vehicle defect. Although I suspect that you may not be doing much driving at the moment. According to the RAC:

The Highway Code states that drivers should have a full view of the road ahead and glass should be maintained in a good condition. A cracked windscreen can obscure driver view - if a motorist is stopped, it could result in a fixed penalty of three points on their licence and a fine.
Hope this helps.

FuhBluh

Sources:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, I've booked with my insurers and Autoglass would be used to carry out the repair job. In about 3 weeks time, as I'm not key worker, but that's ok, I only went to my car to push it, so it doesn't flatspot the tyres, and after seeing the crack, forgot!
Anyone know if Geatronics can be put to N without starting the car, and roll it a bit, or not really? Eg..can i long press the ignition without pressing the brakes, to shift ot N, or engine needs to be started?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, turns out as I'm not an indentified key worker, they won't be coming to replace my glass anytime soon, rats, so I would have a V40 on the drive, paying for parking, monthly lease, but can't use the car due to a cracked windscreen (or lockdown anyway). Just hope the fuel doesn't go bad....or battery dead before this lockdown is over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think most of the population of the United Kingdom is in the same position as you. Cars are a financial drain at the best of times but they're useless at the moment unless you are making a necessary journey. My V40 has sat on the driveway for most of the month.

The AA has some good advice on maintaining vehicles during lockdown:

I connect my V40 to a battery charger once a week to top up the cells and keep them happy; a simple matter of connecting the leads to the terminals under the bonnet. Keeping the battery charged should help prevent any deterioration.

I wouldn't worry about fuel going off unless it was already old when lockdown began. Fingers crossed that we should be out of it before that becomes a concern. I keep my tank full of diesel as the AA recommends.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Liked to know the answer about moving an auto without starting it.
The screen is fundamental to the strength of the car with the bonded glass giving structural assistance. When getting it replaced make sure all 4 wheels are on level ground to get the perfect aligned bond.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooh, so I can do it on position II (which I assume is long press of the start button without foot on brake). Right, need to try this maybe today or tomorrow. That's what the zombie cubbie is for!

·
Registered
224 Posts
ooh, so I can do it on position II (which I assume is long press of the start button without foot on brake). Right, need to try this maybe today or tomorrow. That's what the zombie cubbie is for!
No need for position I or II. Just push the yellow button and move from P to N. That's it, you can't go back to P.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried this today, Long press on ignitoin without foot on brake, once the dash lights up like a chirstmas tree, press brake, and shift from P to N. It works! Now what I did next wasn't so smart. As I was parked 'head first' so the only way I can go is backwards, opened the boot, and started pulling...from the boot lip, not so bad, quite easy to shift the car...now it starts rolling backwards....but I didn't think it through ($h!+), how do I stop it from rolling.. where do I push? Bumper?, lights (bad idea), top of the frame? that 1-2 secs felt like an eternity..ended up managing to hold it on the bumper lip.around the locking catch..but couldn't exert enough force there to push it back. So I ran from the boot to the driver's side door and pushed the A pillar instead, entered, handbrake, and shift back to P. But yes,it does work, but once you shift it, it does roll, so think about that what you need to do after FIRST!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tried this today, Long press on ignitoin without foot on brake, once the dash lights up like a chirstmas tree, press brake, and shift from P to N. It works! Now what I did next wasn't so smart. As I was parked 'head first' so the only way I can go is backwards, opened the boot, and started pulling...from the boot lip, not so bad, quite easy to shift the car...now it starts rolling backwards....but I didn't think it through ($h!+), how do I stop it from rolling.. where do I push? Bumper?, lights (bad idea), top of the frame? that 1-2 secs felt like an eternity..ended up managing to hold it on the bumper lip.around the locking catch..but couldn't exert enough force there to push it back. So I ran from the boot to the driver's side door and pushed the A pillar instead, entered, handbrake, and shift back to P. But yes,it does work, but once you shift it, it does roll, so think about that what you need to do after FIRST!
But... this might be a stupid question... why can't you start it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess a lot of us are stuck in the predicament that we aren't going to use our cars for an extended period of time during the lockdown, me more so as my windscreen is cracked with no real date on when it can be replaced. So my car has been stationary for the past 6-7 weeks, and maybe another month till I can fix the windscreen. So I didn't want to start the car and drain its battery just to move the car few feet. Apparently this is not good for the battery nor engine, to start it, for 5-10 secs, just to move it a few feet. Without a battery charger, I'm saving the charge for when I can start / use it again. Who knows, the battery might be dead by then, as I've only done short trips leading up to the lockdown. I'm only moving the car so that it doesn't remain sat on the tyres sat same spot (and flatspotting it). Which I have done today, I moved it about half a meter.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wohooh, no more crack, Autoglass replaced it in 90 mins, but had to drive there. Guess it's like you are ok to drive to MOT even if yours has run out. You can drive with a broken screen to get it replaced. New glass made by some Chinese make.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What a relief its fixed - just watch out for all the road dressing that seems to be going on, had mine pebble dashed last week by some jerk flying by.
Just checked my screen - made in Belgium E6 code with heated elements, only Chinese glass I have is the pan roof.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts