Volvo V40 Forums banner

Winter Pack Or TFT Display?

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  London_2012 
#1 ·
Hi guys, great forum you have here!

A quick question, if it was a choice of the heated screen and seats or the TFT display which would you guys go with?

As a background i live in central London, and as a norm start my day by getting in to the car around 5:30am.

Thanks

#2 ·
The TFT display strikes me as a pretty toy only. If switching between modes actually changed other settings (such as throttle response, suspension and steering) I would see the point. I bet few people actually switch modes after a while, just settle on the one they like. The standard display is a model of clarity, and attractive.

I don't personally need an illuminated gear knob either. I can usually find it when I want to change gear.....

Just my view

#4 ·
JPV40 said:
Hi guys, great forum you have here!

A quick question, if it was a choice of the heated screen and seats or the TFT display which would you guys go with?

As a background i live in central London, and as a norm start my day by getting in to the car around 5:30am.

Thanks
I've had an electrically heated windscreen in 3 cars with a total ownership of 17 years, and I wouldn't ever want to have a car which didn't have one. I vote for the Winter Pack.

#5 ·
Go for the winter pack. These frosty mornings are reminding me what a good choice it was. Windscreen clears in about a minute and although I'll probably end up with piles, its nice to have a warm bum when its freezing outside.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Stueeee
#6 ·
Oh, tough call. Maybe in London it's not as cold up her in yorkshire..... but I am loving the winter pack and given all the cold and snow we seem to be getting nowadays (I blame global warming ;-00) it is so fantastic not having to scrape the windows every morning. I do agree that once you settle on one of the 'themes' in the TFT display there is a tendency to stick with it.... but the TFT display is SO cool...

#7 ·
Yorkschris said:
Oh, tough call. Maybe in London it's not as cold up her in yorkshire..... but I am loving the winter pack and given all the cold and snow we seem to be getting nowadays (I blame global warming ;-00) it is so fantastic not having to scrape the windows every morning. I do agree that once you settle on one of the 'themes' in the TFT display there is a tendency to stick with it.... but the TFT display is SO cool...
Hiya

I went for both, but if cost is an issue i think you are better off with the winter pack. As Mr Lazy said, i rarely change the theme on my TFT

Volvo154

#9 ·
BOTH! Not much in it price wise in the UK unless you've been given a ceiling on a company car.

Guaranteed resale is higher with a TFT and you'll benefit from any future upgrades they bring to the screen with dealership updates during service.

On the other hand there's nothing like not having to scrape down your windscreen and being able to sit on toasty cheeks whilst the car defrosts itself. Comfort over tech if you have to make a choice, and that's from a techie person :D

#10 ·
That's a really tough one... TFT display is definitely only a nice to have vs Winter Pack that's practical.
But, as I noticed this morning even at -5c it took less than a couple of minutes to scrape the frost from the screen, and the car was warm in well under 10mins. Plus my car is always parked in an underground car park that never freezes during the day so it's not so much of a problem for me.
Not sure how many mornings in a full year I would use the heated screen, even when it's very cold it's not always frosted over. I'm guessing you still have to clear the door glass even when the windscreen is clearing too.
As I was on a budget I went for the TFT display as I tend to spend a couple of hrs a day in the car so am looking at the dials a lot.

Tricky question!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.