Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as the forecast looks to be dropping below 7 degrees C regularly here in the Midlands (especially when I'll be commuting) I had my winter wheels fitted yesterday.

Early days but they seemed a bit grippier this morning. It's a bit odd seeing different style wheels on my car! They're 'Mannan' style rather than 'Ixion' and have Pirelli Sottozero tyres fitted.

One annoyance is that I'll have to live with the tyre pressure warning light being lit all the time until I swap back to the summers as there are no sensors fitted in this set :-(

·
Registered
591 Posts
One annoyance is that I'll have to live with the tyre pressure warning light being lit all the time until I swap back to the summers as there are no sensors fitted in this set :-(
Oh $hit I didn't realize there were sensors in the wheels - are you sure ?

Have you tried re calibrating as I thought it worked on speed differential like the Honda system

I got mine out at the weekend to put them on but hub dia was different so I have ordered some make up rings (due today)

Rather a difference in tread pattern (love my Nokian's) - TBH I don't fancy anyones chances on the slippy stuff whilst wearing summer boots, there are virtually no lateral cuts in them!

·
Registered
729 Posts
have driven 700.000 miles in my life already of which at least 20.000 is winter snow conditions... Never used winter tires.

·
Registered
729 Posts
14 different cars, roughly 30 years of driving experience, and about
25.000 miles per year... Apologies but I just may have a tad of driving experience, including advanced car control training.
Do not misunderstand me, Winter tires do have an important added value for better driving. I just never have thought **** I wish I had em yet. I just adapt my driving style (and carry snow chains in the back, just in case...)

Reactions: OldCroc

·
Registered
382 Posts
Horses for courses really, never used winter tyres either and never had a day off for bad weather but by god somedays were sketchy as! Not sure I fancy taking the risk in my lovely new V40 compared to my beat up old pseudo 4x4 I used to have (never ever used 4x4 in the snow literally engage the 4x4 system half a dozen times in several years).

Basically no doubt winter tyres work and a prudent and wise choice, it's the law in some countries for a reason, I just don't think the UK gets cold enough. Spent a winter in Romania once now that's cold and brutal, and the light weight FWD cars with skinny tyres rule the road. Even Germany gets savagely cold in comparison to our fair isle.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nor me. The remould cross-ply tyres on my 20-year old first car were completely (and I mean completely) bald and I never had any problems.
I suspect that you have never been in really snowy conditions. I've had times going up our snow-covered hill in winter when all steering feel completely deserted me, and the car was going straight when the wheels were in fact turned! What you then have to watch out for is the point at which the tyres abruptly grip and the car jumps sideways (you don't want this to happen when a car is coming in the opposite direction). As this has always happened on winter tyres with good tread, I think you should be thanking whatever Deity you have for preserving you for so long!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Horses for courses really...
I agree with this statement.

I don't think the UK gets severe enough weather to warrant snow tyres. I've certainly never used them here although I have used them in Denmark (on a 4WD V70 as it goes). There was definitely better traction but who's to say whether that was from the tyres or because of the 4x4 drivetrain. Probably a bit of both.

I would suggest that if a person were to drive in snow/ice and the vehicle carried straight on when their wheels were turned then they were more than likely failing to drive to the road conditions.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I suppose yes everything is relative; if you live in the likes of Norfolk with norfolking chance of an incline I do agree you could probably last the winter without 'assistance' be it chains or dedicated tyres.

A couple of posts seemed to reference a persons driving ability and experience can surpass the effectivity of snow tyres and I'm sorry that's complete and utter bollox.

I am sure many on here would be insulted (me definitely) about reference of being a better driver than others, unless I have gone wheel to wheel in identical kit in identical conditions but I too have 30+ years behind the wheel in all manner of conditions and vehicles.

I have been places and done things which would impossible without the right equipment (snow tyres sometimes being the right equipment) and have almost peed my pants in laughter whilst passing many skilled drivers exhibiting zero traction.

My wife is a self confessed nervous and relatively unskilled driver but can easily and in relative safety (bar other drivers) traverse the -125m to +220m climbs on her 4.5 mile trip to work, passing all manner of cars with summer tyres along the way.

I live on the edge of the Pennines, infact our house is up a windy half mile climb up 1:4 cobbled incline. So whilst I could happily visit any of your houses in a modest snowfall, I can assure you with more than 10mm of snow covering you would not be visiting mine on summer tyres (4 WD or not).

Aside from my current abode though I have run snow tyres in this county for the last 20 years. I value my life, my families life and my cars more than I value to money to get kitted with winter tyres. I also enjoy the four fold ability snow tyres bring over summer tyres below 3 deg C and I usually keep them on about 4 months of the year (and temper my fair weather driving to suit their reduced limits above 7 deg C).

So I do accept some may be able to live through a winter here in the UK without changing tyres, as for me and the wife we can get most places that ground clearance allows in winter - namely home.

I too am a very able driver but I am not a gambler - The right snow tyres make a massive (I would say 4 fold) difference to winter traction !

·
Registered
163 Posts
Norfolking chance... Like it! :)

"Driving to the conditions" is far removed from driving ability as far as I'm concerned. I've seen what ignoring the former and exceeding the latter can do far too many times for my liking.

I wouldn't mind a bash at ice racing though -maybe next time I'm in Val Thorens...

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would suggest that if a person were to drive in snow/ice and the vehicle carried straight on when their wheels were turned then they were more than likely failing to drive to the road conditions.
We live on a very steep hill in the Swiss Jura, and it occasionally gets covered in snow in winter. The conditions are such that only the suicidal would charge up it, but things go funny even at low speeds. I guess that, in such conditions, "driving to the road conditions" means not driving at all and getting out the dog sled. The first time it happens, you have no idea what is happening - you lose all steering feel, the front wheels grip only partially and spin rapidly and the car starts to move to one side of the road of its own accord. You correct - or so you think. You end up going forward with the front wheels on partial lock. Yet you try to keep going. I've learned now what is happening and that the only answer is to stop and fit the chains.

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Strange what folk will argue about. Do what's right for you. :)

In the past 2 years I don't think I have seen snow settling for more than 1 hour here in my part of the uk. I make my mind up on that and yes I am concious about the safety of other occupants in my car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,
Here far north it is manadatory to use winter tyres between Dec and Feb. Thats for reason as conditions can vary daily. Through snow to wet and ice. It's more a question of using tyres with or without spikes. On pure ice, there is no doubt of spikes benefit. On the other hand, they can be quite noisy and are very effective in eroding tarmac on our poor roads.
I'll pick up our new D2 on Friday, fitted with Conti Ice contact 205/50-17, with spikes, on Mannan wheels. Motivation for my choice was curvy roads used daily and close situations with deers, one ending up to my hood last week :(. Welcoming Volvos bi xenon lights too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Well, I have my winter wheels and tyres fitted. They went on at the beginning of the month. I had such a good offer from my dealer, I couldn't refuse, and they store the other set for me. Down here on the south coast we don't get that much snow, but the more chunky and deeper tread will help in the deluges of rain we are experiencing.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, I have my winter wheels and tyres fitted. They went on at the beginning of the month. I had such a good offer from my dealer, I couldn't refuse, and they store the other set for me. Down here on the south coast we don't get that much snow, but the more chunky and deeper tread will help in the deluges of rain we are experiencing.
Do you mind telling me how much you paid for your set. Been looking at the volvo sets for a while now. Need to get a set ordered soon.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.