Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the first car scraping of the season happened today. And, it's the first time I've ever scraped the volvo. So, the drivers side wiper blade wont come up, catches on the bonnet when i try to lift it.

Is there something i should be doing different? My old car, the blades would fold down if i hit the stalk without the engine running, but they were the kind that usually lived along either side of the windshield.

Do i need to pop the bonnet to lift that one up? Bit of a faff to go through twice a day!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It's not a design failt - the bonnet masks the wiper arms when they are in the parked position for aerodynamic and pedestrian safety reasons (the bonnet airbag deploys from the rear edge too)

Lifting the bonnet won't make any difference. The wipers have to be put into the 'service' position (with the arms pointing straight up the screen) to be able to lift them.

It tells you how to do this in the manual:
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/car...w17&article=ad90823f73cb47a3c0a801e8015b7b80#

Note the warning to make sure they are not frozen to the screen before doing this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply. So, in order to put them in the service position, they'll have to drag up across the ice, and ruin the blades? Bit of a booboo by Volvo there i think. I dig that it's because of the pedestrian airbag etc, but what's more likely to happen - i knock someone over and need the airbag, or it's frickin freezin and i need to see oit the window?

Ah well. Is what it is.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cheers for the reply. So, in order to put them in the service position, they'll have to drag up across the ice, and ruin the blades? Bit of a booboo by Volvo there i think. I dig that it's because of the pedestrian airbag etc, but what's more likely to happen - i knock someone over and need the airbag, or it's frickin freezin and i need to see oit the window?

Ah well. Is what it is.
My normal method for de-icing is to lift the blades off slightly to break the seal then use water or a de-icer spray. Only after I'd done that did I turn the wipers on to clear it. I wouldn't lift the arms fully up at all.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Found this on my Volvo. I assume it means leave in service position (up and off the windscreen). Alternatively start the car a few minutes earlier and defrost the screen with the quick clear and heaters?

"Always leave your wipers in the park position if there is a risk of freezing. This way they won?t freeze to the windscreen, causing damage to both the glass and the wipers."

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Found this on my Volvo. I assume it means leave in service position (up and off the windscreen). Alternatively start the car a few minutes earlier and defrost the screen with the quick clear and heaters?

"Always leave your wipers in the park position if there is a risk of freezing. This way they won?t freeze to the windscreen, causing damage to both the glass and the wipers."
The park position usually means when they are at the bottom of the screen, so I';m not quite sure what they mean there unless it's relying on the screen demister to heat the area under the wipers.

The correct method of course is to specify the Winter Pack and use the heated windscreen...:wink2:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Agree winter pack way forward although I still think the design could be better. The sides still need a scrape or you end up still putting the wipers onto ice when clearing the slush if you don't which is just daft.

On a separate note I managed to get hold of a Volvo ice scraper that fits in a dedicated slot in the door pocket. It's a simple big of plastic but it's by far the best scraper I've ever used in 20 years of driving. My technique is start, heated seats and screens on, scrape the side windows and the sides of windscreen them the rest is melted so it's a wipe and you're away

·
Registered
771 Posts
Agree winter pack way forward although I still think the design could be better. The sides still need a scrape or you end up still putting the wipers onto ice when clearing the slush if you don't which is just daft.

On a separate note I managed to get hold of a Volvo ice scraper that fits in a dedicated slot in the door pocket. It's a simple big of plastic but it's by far the best scraper I've ever used in 20 years of driving. My technique is start, heated seats and screens on, scrape the side windows and the sides of windscreen them the rest is melted so it's a wipe and you're away
yes have the heated screen which is so quick after the scirocco 10 minute drive to keep the screen clear after scraping, then it used to fog up, also have the Volvo scraper for the sides brilliant, and would recommend getting one soon to any one, must be the cheapest Volvo accessory available :grin2::grin2

genuine one from here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...811269?hash=item235e2c36c5:g:ojgAAOSwDNdVwLm6

Reactions: JB1001

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yes, though the V40 isn't alone in this as most of Volvo's range use the same design and positioning of the wipers. I remember reading a study once of the effect on fuel consumption of having the wiper arms exposed above the bonnet line and it was quite surprising. The other option is to do what Ford have done for their more recent cars and use the 'handclapping' wipers that sweep from the edges to the middle.
It's a Volvo-branded version of the Swedish Ice Scraper:

http://www.swedishicescraper.se/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, previous owner didn't spec the winter pack on my car, so have to use the old fashioned method. Like the other guy (sorry, forgot your username) i tend to start car, everything blowing hot as possible, then start at the rear side windows and work around to the front.

Btw, am i the only guy on here who's car doesn't have more extras than ben hur?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi buzby I meant the heated front screen design could be better. There is a big gap each side where it doesn't have elements and the wiper path crosses into it which I find a stupid design personally. I mean the core innovation is excellent but why a significant gap each side?!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Seems to be...I don't think there is many v40s without the heated screen ;) ps also got a Swedish ice scraper very nice bit of kit

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
I may have to order one! Question is does it fit in the in car holder? (wherever the holder is?!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Slightly off topic, but the V40 appears to be one of the few cars now that has washer jets on top of the bonnet rather than hidden, is there a reason for this? Not a big thing but I think the bonnet lines would look better without them.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi buzby I meant the heated front screen design could be better. There is a big gap each side where it doesn't have elements and the wiper path crosses into it which I find a stupid design personally. I mean the core innovation is excellent but why a significant gap each side?!
It seems to be a limitation of the Ford Quickclear system (every Ford I've had it on has been the same). I don't think they can take the heater matrix too close to the sides of the screen without the risk of it delaminating or cracking. The corners of the screen are where the glass is under the most stress, so it's probably not a good idea to rapidly heat those areas from sub-zero temperatures.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Slightly off topic, but the V40 appears to be one of the few cars now that has washer jets on top of the bonnet rather than hidden, is there a reason for this? Not a big thing but I think the bonnet lines would look better without them.
It might be that they don't want them to get in the way when the pedestrian airbag deploys? The other 'legacy platform' Volvos like the S60, XC70 and S80 still have the washer jets on the bonnet too. The new XC90 has the jets integrated into the wiper arms, so once the SPA platform starts getting used for other models that may come with it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It seems to be a limitation of the Ford Quickclear system (every Ford I've had it on has been the same). I don't think they can take the heater matrix too close to the sides of the screen without the risk of it delaminating or cracking. The corners of the screen are where the glass is under the most stress, so it's probably not a good idea to rapidly heat those areas from sub-zero temperatures.
That makes a lot of sense Buzby. Still annoying it's not 100% scrape free though (unless you don't give a rats ass about the blades)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts