Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I realise it's subjective, but my current car has original Volvo ones on but the rear one squeaks and the front drivers side version seems to miss a little as it wipes.
Car has done just over 40,000, I'd like to think these are from factory new.

Will replacing the blades help or do the current ones just need a good clean OR is there something else I should look at?

·
Registered
185 Posts
They last about a week if used on a frosty screen (multiple fine cuts)!
Mine were noisy from new with a slapping as the direction was reversed at the A Pillar. So within months I had installed a new Bosch set which cured it.
I usually change them within 2 years but with little use during Covid I can extend. In fact I can't think of the last time I drove it in rain.
On motorways you can bet there are a lot of people around you fighting for vision and not understanding what a good wiper can do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I worked at Halfords years ago, it amazed me how some people expected unlimited life from a rubber blade! They are often in a harsh environment, cold, freezing, wet, forced through the air at 70MPH, Sat still, baked on the screen through the summer doesn't help them either, I couldn't last for 2 years like that 😂. So, at 40k, theyre likely to have earned every penny spent on them. There's stories of V40 blades having some magic tensioner in the Volvo workshops to aid the perfect fit? fiction or fact I don't know... I can tell you, the Bosch items I bought for my wifes C30 perform better than the original Volvo ones on mine, best pricing I found was from cvpartsinmotion... hope this helps

·
Registered
779 Posts
Strange thing I've found is that I need to replace the rear blade much more frequently than the front ones.
I guess that's down to the crap thrown up on the tailgate, the front is usually cleaner in comparison.
I've found that a slightly longer blade fits fine and doesn't foul the spoiler, off the top of my head 330mm vs 310mm standard?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Will replacing the blades help or do the current ones just need a good clean OR is there something else I should look at?
Replacing the blades helps as the rubber blade will have little cuts and tears which is what causes the smears and little unwiped stripes.

You can get a tool that trims off a few mm of your old blade, giving you a fresh surface but I have heard mixed reviews on how effective they are.

Top tip - put your old blades back in the box and store in the boot. That way if one of your blades unexpectedly fails and starts to tear off (whilst you are halfway through the Cairngorms in the rain like I was) you can pull over and stick one of your used ones back on to get you to the end of your journey.

Reactions: chiptivo

·
Registered
779 Posts
Good tip, I always do that.
And remember, your emergency spare blades don't even need to be the exact right size.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The front original Volvo blades on mine lasted about a year
Swapped them for Bosch blades which are now more than 2 years old and still like new

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all.

I thought as much.
Get money off Halfords so always get Bosch ones from there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought my V40 in 2015 and replaced the fronts summer 2019, car had covered 85K. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

My wife's Mini goes through a set every 1-2 years, around 5-10K.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm still on originals. 7 years.
I think the fronts could do with replacing now, but got through the last MOT, will probably do them before the next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replace mine pretty regularly as I hate streaks and squeaks, Can usually get a pair of Bosch Aerotwins off Amazon for less than £20 vs £39 at Halfords

1 - 13 of 13 Posts