Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Could not find this on a search..

Looking for a wiring diagram for my 2014 V40 R Design.
I'm installing a rear camera that connects to my Garmin Sat Nav and going to connect to reversing lights. I want to ensure I get the right cable although should be easy to find from the plug and a tester...always nice to get a confirmation though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Looking for a wiring diagram for my 2014 V40 R Design.
I'm installing a rear camera that connects to my Garmin Sat Nav and going to connect to reversing lights. I want to ensure I get the right cable although should be easy to find from the plug and a tester...always nice to get a confirmation though
Unfortunately Volvo have closed the backdoor on their Service Information website that allowed access to the EWDs without having a user account.

I can tell you however that the Positive feed for the reversing light is the Green/Brown wire on both sides. It goes to Pin 1 of the multiplug connector on the Left Rear lamp unit, and Pin 3 of the multiplug connector on the Right Rear lamp unit.

Does the camera use this connection as it's main power feed, or use it purely as a current sensing input to tell it when it's reversing? If it's the latter it will probably be ok, but if it's the former it might cause issues with the bulb failure monitoring in the CEM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. It's to power the camera so it automatically comes on when the car goes into reverse.
Do you think that might cause problems then. Is so I can wire it somehow to take constant power when ignition on ( any ideas for that in the boot area?) and then can toggle camera on and off via sat nav

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks for that. It's to power the camera so it automatically comes on when the car goes into reverse.
Do you think that might cause problems then. Is so I can wire it somehow to take constant power when ignition on ( any ideas for that in the boot area?) and then can toggle camera on and off via sat nav
The bulb failure monitoring in the CEM works by current sensing - if there is no current flow when the CEM enabled the lamp output it assumes the bulb has blown and you should get a warning message in the display. If the camera is taking it's power from one of the lamp feeds then there will always be a current flow when the lamp output is turned on, even if the bulb has blown, so you will lose the warning on the side you put it on.

The only switched live output I can think of in the boot area is the feed to the Parking Assistance Module (mounted on the right-hand side wheelarch behind the trim), if your car has the sensors fitted. It should be the Blue wire in Pin 1 of the connector with 4 wires in it (switched live, ground and the 2-wire CANbus feed).

It comes down to whether you are bothered by missing the bulb failure warning on one side versus having to disassemble the trim to get to the switched live and have to activate the camera manually.

It should also be noted that any modification you make to the wiring (even tapping in using a scotchlock) will potentially void your warranty if something goes wrong in that area. If you look at some of the threads for the modifications I've made to my car, I always try to find a way of getting to signals by using T-harnesses that plug in between existing connectors (which involves having to identify and find sources for the connectors), as I was warned by my dealer when I asked about making modifications to the wiring harness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for that, gives me something to think about. I don't have parking assistance so think I will tap into the reversing light feed. I'll do it properly by soldering the new wire to the existing and using heat shrink tube rather than a cheap snap lock piggy back connector. Not too worried about reversing light worming as I reverse down my drive every day and would soon see if the bulb had gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just fitting it today, does anyone know if the black/white cable on the connector to the rear lights is an earth?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just fitting it today, does anyone know if the black/white cable on the connector to the rear lights is an earth?
It is but I wouldn't use it, especially if you are cutting it to solder onto it as it's the only earth for the whole cluster and you risk getting 'disco lights' when the indicator or brake light comes on as a result. There are plenty of good earth points round the rear of the car and the tailgate that you can run a wire with a ring terminal to.

If your camera is mounted on the tailgate, there is one in the middle behind the upper window trim that it would be lot more convenient to use instead of running a wire back into the car:

The upper surround is in two parts, which can be removed by undoing the Torx screw thats inside each of the posts for the parcel shelf cords. You can then pull the ends out of the lower trim panel and use your fingers or a trim tool behind the edges of the panels to pull them off (one of the panels overlaps the other in the centre).

If you are taking the earth wire into the car, there two earth points on the rear crossmember (one on each side) under the tailgate sill trim panel. To remove the trim panel, take the boot floor out and undo the two Torx screws where the trim panel meets the plastic boot floor tray. You can then get your fingers or a trim tool under the ends and pull upwards. There are 4 retaining clips, two either side of the lock striker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info. I decided not you splice the earth on the loom as found a small thread in the same access panel holding the sound deadening felt on. Put a connector on there and now all working fine. It was a real pain to get the camera wire from the bumper through to the boot. I could not get the trim off and did not want to force it but thanks to a bit of coat hanger I got it threaded through.
Put car in reverse and and camera comes on.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi quick question, I'm retro fitting some rear parking sensors and the wiring sounds similar to your camera installation. I note that on the right rear light cluster the Green/brown pin 3 should be the reversing light feed... did you only need to tap in to this to get power for your camera?

I've tapped it but do far no juice to the park sensor ecu, wondering if it's sub 9v or a pulsed feed and I'll need to tap a permanent live as well somewhere else in the boot.

I have a copy of Vida, but it has absolutely n wiring info and I can't see the info anywhere online that gives a description of what all the cables are in the boot (Looks to be two spare blocks, one I presume for a power socket (just two cables) and one maybe for a tow bar controller (4 or 5 wires in to the connector).

Cheers

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi quick question, I'm retro fitting some rear parking sensors and the wiring sounds similar to your camera installation. I note that on the right rear light cluster the Green/brown pin 3 should be the reversing light feed... did you only need to tap in to this to get power for your camera?

I've tapped it but do far no juice to the park sensor ecu, wondering if it's sub 9v or a pulsed feed and I'll need to tap a permanent live as well somewhere else in the boot.

I have a copy of Vida, but it has absolutely n wiring info and I can't see the info anywhere online that gives a description of what all the cables are in the boot (Looks to be two spare blocks, one I presume for a power socket (just two cables) and one maybe for a tow bar controller (4 or 5 wires in to the connector).

Cheers
The Green/Brown wires are the power feeds for the reversing lights. If you look at the 'signal specifications' page for the Central Electronic Module in the Component Specifications section of VIDA, the reversing light output pins are C7-19 and C7-20 on the CEM, and are specified as Ulow (near 0V) when the ignition is off, and Ubat (12-13V) when active. However, as they are a bulb feed, they will have bulb failure monitoring current regulation on them.

When you tapped into the feed to power your parking sensors, did the bulb still illuminate? It might be that it's not feeding enough current to power your parking sensor module, or the CEM is seeing a low resistance path and thinks there's a short (is there a bulb failure message on the dash?). Does it have the option of using a switched live for power and a current-sensing input to monitor the reversing light feed to tell it when to activate?

The two taped-up connectors on the driver's side are for the Trailer Module (TRM), which is fitted to run the electrics for a towbar. The cargo compartment power socket wiring loom tees into the large 2-pin connector that usually supplies the power to the TRM and the accessory power for the trailer socket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Green/Brown wires are the power feeds for the reversing lights. If you look at the 'signal specifications' page for the Central Electronic Module in the Component Specifications section of VIDA, the reversing light output pins are C7-19 and C7-20 on the CEM, and are specified as Ulow (near 0V) when the ignition is off, and Ubat (12-13V) when active. However, as they are a bulb feed, they will have bulb failure monitoring current regulation on them.

When you tapped into the feed to power your parking sensors, did the bulb still illuminate? It might be that it's not feeding enough current to power your parking sensor module, or the CEM is seeing a low resistance path and thinks there's a short (is there a bulb failure message on the dash?). Does it have the option of using a switched live for power and a current-sensing input to monitor the reversing light feed to tell it when to activate?

The two taped-up connectors on the driver's side are for the Trailer Module (TRM), which is fitted to run the electrics for a towbar. The cargo compartment power socket wiring loom tees into the large 2-pin connector that usually supplies the power to the TRM and the accessory power for the trailer socket.
Cheers Buzby,

Yes found the specs on Vida today and as you state it's a clean non pulsed feed which is what I'm after. I couldn't for the life of me find a diagram for the terminating block at the light cluster end that listed the wire colours and pin numbers, so thanks for confirming.

The reversing lamps work fine and there's no bulb error so I'm going back to basics and checking the park sensor kit connections... I initially didn't want to do anything too permanent if I'd got the wrong wire and used temp connectors... so will properly solder and also pick a different earth point (I used the one the light cluster uses, but there's loads of metal and punched holes in the back so will create another just in case it's that).

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cheers Buzby,
and also pick a different earth point (I used the one the light cluster uses, but there's loads of metal and punched holes in the back so will create another just in case it's that).
The factory earthing points for the cargo area are a pair of bolts either side of the rear crossmember under the boot sill trim. They are probably your best option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The factory earthing points for the cargo area are a pair of bolts either side of the rear crossmember under the boot sill trim. They are probably your best option.
Cheers Again Buzby,

Properly soldered and then used heat shrink and everything is working fine, took your advice and stuck to the factory Earth point.

Many thanks
Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to reopen an old post, but wondered if there was a trick to removing the boot sill trim? I've undone the two bolts at the bottom and used brute force to the limit of my bravery! Feels like something is about to snap (on me and the car). Also, wanted to double double check before I tap into the wire, its pin 3 in the lighting connector, rear drivers side? Cheers!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Brute force. Had mine out to fit a towbar (very hidden, wouldnt know its there, before i get bashed)
Using Buzby's diagram above, I used a prybar to lift upwards, once one clip gives they all seem to follow... If honest, I did mark the plastic slightly trying first to use a screwdriver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone. Need a help. In the boot on the right hand side I’ve installed a cigarette socket (genuine Volvo). Also behind the matt/carpet there is a hundreds of wires going from the front to the back of the car. Does any one know which cable has power on when ignition is on? I have installed a tracker to the socket but there is a constanlty 12v even if ignition is off. I think it’s draining the battery. Need to find a cable which has a power only when ignition is on. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi, I would feed from the cigar lighter, not too much trim to remove to fish a cable through. Although, id not have thought the power required would be an issue for the battery, and also having an ignition fed supply offers no protection if the car is towed away for dismantling or export. Of course, some systems will have a battery backup, charging with ignition which is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I would feed from the cigar lighter, not too much trim to remove to fish a cable through. Although, id not have thought the power required would be an issue for the battery, and also having an ignition fed supply offers no protection if the car is towed away for dismantling or export. Of course, some systems will have a battery backup, charging with ignition which is fine.
Thanks for your message. It is currently connected to the lighter socket. But the car said that the battery is low. Wondering if this is caused by tracker? Don’t know, but you are 100% right, in case the car is towed away etc. I might leave it as it is, just need to charge the battery or replace it if it’s time for it. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your message. It is currently connected to the lighter socket. But the car said that the battery is low. Wondering if this is caused by tracker? Don’t know, but you are 100% right, in case the car is towed away etc. I might leave it as it is, just need to charge the battery or replace it if it’s time for it. Thanks a lot.
I am using sinotracker

1 - 19 of 19 Posts