Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I bought new turn signals for my doors mirrors for my Oversta v40CC 2019 D2. (I'm french)
Found in Aliexpress :

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Screenshot

But the blue model has an extra wire wire (green) for blue signal when closing and/or opening the car

Automotive exterior Line Automotive lighting Auto part Font

the reseller explain quickly the procedure:

Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia Web page

But (there is still a "but" 馃槄) , one my car i don't have puddle lights below the doors , but only courtesy lights under the side mirrors. but these ones have to be manually switch on with left stalk.
Hood Automotive lighting Electrical wiring Gas Wood

i have tested to connect the green wire with each one of the courtesy light, but it doesn't work ..
i think its because it is not a permanent or active ACC wire.

so after i tested with open/close mirror motor wires.(each, blue and white)
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

then, the blue signal works on the driver (left) mirror when i close the car, but (again 馃槄馃槄), for the passenger door, it only works when closing the car AND the right door is OPEN.. never when door is closed...

i have quickly tested with one of 3 wires of mirror adjustment motor, but it seems not working better...
Automotive tire Finger Personal protective equipment Gadget Electrical wiring

I don't succeed to understand and find the wiring system for side mirrors..

i have found a wiring diagram For V40CC, but it looks like it is for models before 2015 (not the same wires colors)..
Rectangle Schematic Slope Font Parallel

Maybe is there a permanent 12v wire somewhere in the mirrors....? but where....?

does anyone have an idea or solution ?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.馃檹

Registered
Hi, I have the same kit but I have not attempted to fit it yet.

When I unlock the car, the puddle lights under my mirrors illuminate and I believe they do the same when I press the light button on the remote control, so I intend to wire the kit to the positive wire of each of these under mirror puddle lights.

I have used similar kits on other cars with puddle lights under the mirrors and I have always wired them to the positive wire for these under mirror lights, which gives the strobing blue when you unlock and the mirror unfolds, which then becomes a permanent blue light, which in turn faces out.

I will report back when I get around to fitting them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve.
what year of your car ?
Light under the mirror are only courtesy light on mine. They don't light on when I unlock or lock the car.. I must manually switch them on with the remote or left stalk..
I neither don't have puddle lights under the front doors too 馃槙.
Maybe is your car before 2015?

Regards

Registered
Hi Steve.
what year of your car ?
Light under the mirror are only courtesy light on mine. They don't light on when I unlock or lock the car.. I must manually switch them on with the remote or left stalk..
I neither don't have puddle lights under the front doors too 馃槙.
Maybe is your car before 2015?

Regards
Hi,

It's a late 2016 model, so a face-lift. On my other cars it has always been an easy job as they all had puddle lights under the mirrors and these would switch on automatically as the power mirrors unfolded, which provided the power source you seem to be missing in your car for the blue light.

Maybe you have footwell lights and if so, do they come on with the interior light when you unlock the doors and then switch off either after a short period or when you start the engine as these could be a potential power source in the absence of puddle lights under the doors?

I have the footwell lights but in my car they are on whenever the engine is running, so it wouldn't be an option, although your car might be different.

Just a thought but does having the headlight switch set to AUTO make any difference to how the puddle lights under the mirrors behave? My car has auto headlights, so I am just assuming you also have these. I know on many cars, including my other car, the headlight switch must be set to auto for the exterior courtesy lights to operate when locking and unlocking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
HI Steve 馃槉.
Indeed it is strange that my model works differently. The lights under the exterior mirrors never come on automatically when the car is locked or unlocked.

Yes I have footwell working like this and my headlight switch is set to auto..

I have read the manual about exterior mirror lights. And it says, they only are manual approach lighs..

Here are the explanations :

Font Screenshot Number Circle Parallel
Font Number Screenshot Parallel Document

Registered
I read the manual too but I have seen the mirror puddle lights Illuminated on a number of occasions on unlocking the car as they are quite noticeable. I won't have access to the V40 for several days or so, but I will try and remember to take a closer look next time I unlock the car.

It's very odd that Volvo chose to not have the external courtesy lights illuminate on unlocking the car like every other manufacturer including Ford. Even my Fiesta ST from many years ago would illuminate front/rear lights plus mirror puddle lights whilst unlocking. My old Infiniti was even better as it would softly illuminate various external/internal lights by simply walking towards the car with the keyless fob in your pocket and the same with my very old Lexus GS430 from 2006.

Sorry for digressing but you know how it is with cars. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve I completely agree with you. I don't understand at all why this difference with the light under the exterior mirror. Yet my manual is clear, it is only approach lights to be activated either with the remote control or at the steering wheel before getting out of the car. these are not puddle lights in my case which automatically turn on each time the door is opened or closed.. And no setting is possible to activate it systematically.. I don't understand why our 2 cars restyled after 2015 operate differently at this level. Does your manual explain that these lights come on each time the door is opened? In any case, I believe you, but I don't understand why such a difference in operation. Do you have the option of puddle lights at the bottom of the doors? Maybe you have both (under mirrors and under the bottom of the doors) Me no.

Registered
Yes, it's very odd but that's how I remember them operating. I did read the manual and it states the same as yours, so maybe I am hallucinating but I will check at the weekend when I am next with the car.

My car does have the additional lights on the bottom of the front door bins but I doubt that would make any difference to the operation of the mirror lights. I will report back after the weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello and thank you Steve.

Yes, that's amazing..
I'll let you confirm quietly when you vwill have your car and some time. From what I understand, the front doors sometimes have 2 different lights. The approach lights under the mirrors and the puddle/courtesy lights at the very bottom of the doors. Maybe it's these lights in your case that come on when locking and unlocking.. But honestly I don't think so, you can't have been wrong in your impressions, so maybe the puddle lights option (which I have not sure my car) also changes the behavior of the light under the mirror.? Case to follow so 馃槃

1 - 9 of 9 Posts