Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Can anyone tell me which bulbs a Xenon equipped V40 takes. I have searched the net and also had a look in the owners manual but can't find any info on this. Most Volvo's take D1S xenon bulbs so wondered if the V40 was the same?

Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looking in the online manual, page 340, it gives the Xenon bulb as ...
Additional Headlight H7 LL. There is a little letter c after the entry so you have to look at the footnotes which tell you its Xenon. Hope this helps

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have active bi-xenons -

Bulbs are about the £100 mark I think & need to be fitted by the dealer.
Found this out when i tried to order a spare bulb kit for travelling to France.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

H7 refers to the high beam which will be a standard halogen.

Thats the very reason it doesnt tell you the xenon bulb type in the manual as volvo consider it a dealer fit. In reality changing the xenon bulbs is actually easier than a standard halogen. I did it on my S80 and was really simple. I think the reason they say it is dealer fit is if you break the xenon bulb they sort of explode as I believe they are pressurised.

Having done some diging around it looks like the Xenon bulbs for the V40 are D3S. Thats a shame as there are a lot less upgrade options for that bulb type.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wonder if you could get away without taking replacement Xenons to France. After all the Owners Manual doesn't specify them as they should only be changed by an approved workshop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wonder if you could get away without taking replacement Xenons to France. After all the Owners Manual doesn't specify them as they should only be changed by an approved workshop.
Even a spare bulb kit without the Xenons was around £40. In the end, i took the one from my wifes Zafira so at least i had something to show the Gendarmes if i got stopped.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have taken a few cars with HID's to france and never taken a replacement head light bulb.

Unofficially, I do not hing the plod would expect a driver to carry these or replacement LED's with them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have taken a few cars with HID's to france and never taken a replacement head light bulb.

Unofficially, I do not hing the plod would expect a driver to carry these or replacement LED's with them.
I took spare headlamps (H7 non Xenon), and then a spare turn indicator and a spare brake lamp. The funny thing is, there is no actual law that requires the spare lamps. The kits and advice are actually only that - advice.

Quoted from a dealer supplying spare kits - "We are often asked if it is a legal requirement to carry spare bulb kits in France (as Insurance companies often state just the law in their advice to travellers). There is NO law in France to say it is - however if the police ask you to replace a blown light and you then drive (even a metre) without first replacing it then you will be committing an offence."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts