Volvo V40 Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ask the dealer's when you're there ,price wise there was only about £10 or so difference when I got mine and let them do it,it's less hassle and you know it's the right one.
I know Volvo dealers can be competitive for a battery, what are they charging at the moment? ( excuse the pun )

·
Registered
189 Posts
dont know, but i fell off my perch when looking at euro car parts web page, over 400 quid... obviously having a wow! save 60% sale, and still too dear at that

·
Registered
135 Posts
When I looked last year went from £60 for something I had never heard of to over £450 ,for £10/£15 I was more than happy for Volvo to do it while the wife and I had a coffee,I ride a motorbike as well and can do a reasonable amount of maintenance on my vehicles ( hate doing chain on bike,miss my shaft drive BMW ) but I was all done in under hour,no problem and no hassle for me,obviously you can do it yourself as many on here have,but I am getting as can not be a****d any more.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I’ll be honest I haven’t really read through more than the last 10 or so posts...however....

I’ve been having the same problem for a couple of years and this would be VERY briefly resolved by slapping a charger on. Took it to the dealers for a replacement (can’t remember the quote) and they said they’d replace it if I wanted but recommended testing it first (cost about £15) and it still had pretty good health. They told me the warning is very common in V40s and advised the start stop was the likely culprit (I initially always turned it off then just left it on and eventually it stopped working and the low charge warnings surfaced). They advised the best way is to manually turn off start/stop to allow the main battery to charge as I’m guessing start stop sups life out of it first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: R1916V

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stop/start won't work if main battery is not charged enough,so deactivating stop/start won't make any difference to it charging at all .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Correct, stop/start is not available when state of charge of the main battery is less than 74-75 % SOC, easy to observe on a smartphone with app called Car Scanner Elm Obd2.

50210879.png

·
Registered
607 Posts
Stop/start won't work if main battery is not charged enough,so deactivating stop/start won't make any difference to it charging at all .
The way I interpreted it was that yes the stop/start does not work but that the stop/start battery will continue to charge if activated? So by deactivating it it won’t take any charge from the main battery? I could be completely wrong as I have no idea how it all actually works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
The battery monitor will charge both batteries as needed,stop/start battery is not charged from main battery but by the alternator, I think ?disabling the start/stop will just stop it from activating the stop/start,the main car battery starts the car ,the small stop/start battery only powers ancillary like radio,lights,,A/C when car is stopped and engine off,

·
Registered
V40 MY13
43 Posts
my car scanner wont show any info about battery, it means that I dont have BMS module?

61 - 70 of 70 Posts